Monday, May 9, 2011

The End of Overeating: Is it in Sight?

A major part of improving your lifestyle is learning to take charge of the behaviors involved.  It’s not just what we eat, but why we eat it and how much we eat.  Recently I’ve been looking for innovations in helping my clients to understand why we eat certain foods or certain amounts of foods when we know we’re full.  Perhaps if we understand the psychology behind the behavior, we can learn to control it.  And the insight can’t hurt my habits either – we’re all human :) 

There are several books on my reading list.  A couple weeks ago I purchased the audio book, The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite, by Dr. David Kessler.  I bought it with plans to listen as I drive back to my hometown of Louisville, Kentucky later this month.  Since I’ll be making the trip alone this time, I thought it would be a great way to pass the time and finally get around to “reading” this book that I’ve wanted to pick up off the shelf for some time now.  However…I couldn’t wait.  I uploaded it to my iPod the other day and have already taken it jogging twice.  Oops!  I’m already through eighteen chapters (they’re fairly short) and enjoying the commentary so far.  I thought I'd better get this post up before I listen to the whole book!  I would love to form an online discussion group of sorts here on the blog.  If you’ve read the book or want to, please join me.  I’ll post comments throughout my reading; please post your comments too.  I guess I’ll have to get another book to listen to on my trip.

Just start with the cover- which would you pick: carrot or carrot cake?  How hard would it be to opt for the carrots instead of the cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?