Monday, August 15, 2011

Fresh from the garden: recipe series

This post marks the beginning of my recipe series, Fresh From the Garden, featuring my own recipes made with garden-fresh produce (as promised). These recipes are simple, tasty and oh-so-fresh; just perfect for summertime.  If you’ve got the backyard garden going, you might not even have to go to the grocery store! This is the perfect opportunity to get creative in your cooking, so be experimental.  Cooking doesn’t have to be perfect. Subscribe to be a goodfoodie to be alerted of new posts or follow along for recipes using your summer harvest!

First up: Flatbread Pizza
Yes, a pizza that’s healthy! And you can get creative with this one by choosing your own mix of ingredients. There are nearly endless possibilities for whatever mood you’re in. It’s a fun and easy recipe to share with your spouse, family and/or kids because each person can make their own unique pizza.

Start with whole grain naan (Indian flatbread—you may have never seen it, but it’s available at most grocery stores) or whole wheat pita bread. Drizzle olive oil lightly across the top and bake on a cookie sheet or pizza pan at 425 degrees until it begins to turn golden brown (about ten minutes). You may also choose to sprinkle garlic and herbs on the bread before baking for extra flavor.

Remove from the oven and add your favorite toppings. This time I used sliced kalamata olives, capers, sliced tomatoes, a few turkey pepperonis, feta cheese, fresh garlic and fresh basil with a sprinkle of 2% milk mozzarella cheese. Think about your restaurant favorites; it doesn't have to be so "gourmet."


Bake for another 10-15 minutes until cheese begins to turn golden brown and starts to bubble.

Remove from the oven, cut and serve your individual pizza.

Other fun options:
  • Mix and match with your family—everyone can take a taste of each person’s pizza creation
  • Serve as an appetizer at your next cocktail hour or party (think bruschetta-style)
  • Give to the kids for a nutritious after-school snack.
This version was so good I made it two days in a row. Next time I’m adding slices of goat cheese in place of the feta! Anyway, I think you get the point. Whatever you choose, you may find you won’t need to order delivery anymore…wink, wink. Just try to keep the meats lean (Canadian bacon, ham, ground sirloin or turkey pepperoni) and go easy on the cheese. Fill it up with colorful veggies fresh from your garden!

2 comments:

  1. After a conversation with Liz, this has become one of my favorites. Since it's been so hot and I didn't want to turn on the oven, I opted for grilling. I found whole wheat pocketless pitas that work perfectly. I put a little olive oil on the bottom of the pita then flip it over. I put a couple tablespoons of my favorite pizza sauce on top, then I top with green peppers, red peppers, onion (I microwave the veggies beforehand) and some skim mozzarella.

    I start the grill on high while I'm preparing my pizza, then reduce the heat to low once it's on the grill. Three or four minutes later the pizza is done.

    I also like Grilled BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza. Same prep except I use BBQ sauce for the base, some cubed grilled chicken breast, onion and skim mozzarella. Just like California Pizza Kitchen, but at a fraction of the calories.

    Give one a try with your favorite toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kevin, for sharing! I can't wait to try the BBQ Chicken pizza. Great instructions and a great solution for enjoying a common favorite!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?