Sunday, April 22, 2012

Roasted Garlic Hummus


I come up with new recipes sort of on-the-fly, that's why I keep a journal my sister gave me in my kitchen--so I can keep track of my creations to share them! Most weeks I create at least one new recipe, often on the weekend when I have a little more time. This weekend's yummy creation: Roasted Garlic Hummus.

I love hummus. It's built from just a few simple and healthy ingredients, but depending on the brand or restaurant in which you find this trendy dish, the taste can be worlds apart. I have several favorites: many from Trader Joe's (roasted garlic, kalamata olive and Mediterranean), plus the hummus from Bar Louie and Mosaic, here in St. Louis. This weekend, I perfected my own. I don't like my hummus too lemony, that's why I don't purchase the regular supermarket brands. I love the more savory flavors and I'm quite fond of garlic. So this one was a no-brainer. Want some of your own? Get out your trusty food processor (an essential and worthwhile kitchen investment) and give this one a whirl! This week it's on my lunch menu with some mini whole wheat pitas, Kalamata olives, feta cheese and homemade taboulleh. Looking forward to it :)

Roasted Garlic Hummus

Ingredients
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained with juice reserved
  • 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) juice reserved from can
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts, divided
  • 4 large garlic cloves, roasted
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon parsely flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • Fresh ground black pepper, several grinds
  • Paprika, just a dash

Instructions
  • Peel garlic cloves and roast in 350 degree oven on a small cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray until starting to brown. 
  • Put all ingredients in food processor, except 1 tablespoon pine nuts. Blend on high until smooth. 
  • Serve with remaining pine nuts on top.

Download the recipe.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups; 27 calories per tablespoon (24 servings).

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?