Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa


Cinco de Mayo got me thinking about my love affair with seafood tacos. It all started with the shrimp tacos at Pujols 5 Restaurant, here in St. Louis. Then there were the shrimp tacos I ate on my honeymoon in Cancun. I fell in love with this dish! It may not sound very appealing, and admittedly I was a little skeptical about it myself at first, but believe me--it's delicious. And of course, nutritious and super simple to prepare!

This is the version I recently came up with at home using tilapia. As it often does, my inspiration for the accompanying salsa came from the ingredients I received in my biweekly co-op! Prepare the salsa ahead of time to allow flavors to marry.

Mango Avocado Salsa
Cut the following into small, bite-sized pieces:
1 cup tomatoes (any kind)
1 avocado
1 mango

1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lime, cut into quarters

Dash of the following:
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Crushed red pepper

Add all ingredients in a small bowl. Squeeze the lime over ingredients. Add seasonings to taste. Gently mix to coat in lime juice. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.


Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
Serves 4.

Ingredients
4 4 oz tilapia filets (fresh or frozen and thawed)
Seasoned and ready to go!
1 lime, sliced in wedges
4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Olive oil
Crushed red pepper
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Chili powder
Cumin
Paprika
8 yellow corn tortillas (the thinnest ones tend not to crack)
8 tablespoons Mango Avocado Salsa
8 teaspoons plain, non-fat Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream, for topping
Spring mix or lettuce, shredded, for topping

Place tilapia filets on a plate. On each side of the fish, season by repeating the following: drizzle olive oil, squeeze lime and lightly sprinkle each of the seasonings. Allow to marinate in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.

Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add fish and cook on each side for about 3 minutes. Flip the fish gently with a spatula, as tilapia flakes very easily. The fish is done when it is opaque in the center (white throughout and no longer pink). While the fish is cooking, warm tortilla shells in the microwave for about 10 seconds. Each filet will fill 2 corn taco shells. Split the fish between shells and top with lettuce, salsa and sour cream.

Enjoy with brown rice and a Mexican beer :)  It will make you feel like you're over-looking the ocean in Cancun!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE fish tacos. I originally tried them from this cookbook for healthy eating and me and my family fell in love with them. The only downside to fish tacos trying to decide whether to cook them on the grill or in the oven.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?