Sunday, February 26, 2012

Product Review: Stonyfield Organic Yogurt


I often get the opportunity to try products and review them on my blog. Stonyfield recently sent me a coupon to try a complimentary sample of one of their organic yogurts. I love yogurt, so I was grateful! Here's what I thought about the low fat blueberry variety.

The yogurt was uniquely creamy, with a rich texture, even though it was low-fat. I'm picky about yogurt--the consistency can really be a turnoff. But Stonyfield's brand was smooth without a lot of extra stirring. It also had lots of berry flavor. I only wish it had contained more whole blueberries! Of course, I can always add some to it, but the label claim, "fruit on the bottom," makes me think there will be some chunks of fruit to mix around, and there were few.

The yogurt was really filling. I ate it for lunch yesterday with only an open-faced sandwich. Ordinarily, I would be hungry within a couple hours. But it lasted me all afternoon! It would also make an excellent, lasting, super-healthy snack choice.

I really liked the nutrient profile compared to other comparable brands. Even though the Stonyfield yogurt is not made with artificial sweeteners, it only has 21g of carbohydrate--similar to many yogurts that are made with artificial sweeteners. I'm not against sweeteners, I just don't like the aftertaste of many of them, so I especially avoid them in yogurts.

There are only 120 calories per 6-ounce container, 1.5g total fat and 1g saturated fat. Again, lower than many other comparable low-fat brands. Typically I purchase non-fat yogurt because the saturated fat is just too high in most low-fat yogurts, but that's not the case here.

A few other nutritional components of note:

  • The ingredient list is fairly short and all the ingredients are comprehensible; that's great because I like to know what I'm eating.
  • The 6-ounce container provides 25% of the daily value (DV) for calcium and 15% DV of vitamin D.
  • It's gluten-free, as yogurt should be. Again, no hidden ingredients that don't need to be there.
  • There are six varieties of live, active cultures. A great reason to enjoy yogurt--gut health.
  • Stonyfield's "Organic Promise" is that their yogurt comes from cows raised without the use of antibiotics, synthetic growth hormones and persistent pesticides.

I also can't help but mention that the cow with glasses on the front is adorable!

I have to admit, that for the most part, I buy plain, non-fat yogurt. I just prefer it. But I really liked the Stonyfield Organic brand. When I'm looking for something a little different, I would buy it again, but I would definitely have to add more fruit. For those looking for a product made with organic ingredients, this is a great choice.

Stonyfield yogurts are available at most grocers. Find out more about them and their products here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?