Friday, September 28, 2012

Fall Muesli


Okay, so I'm a little obsessed with muesli lately. And since I've now had the opportunity to gather my preferred ingredients for the final recipe I was hoping for, I've created a second version. See my first muesli recipe, Wild Blueberry Muesli, here.

Fall Muesli contains Medjool dates, apricots and pecans--ultimately a combination that feels more like Fall to me. It's a little heartier. I also had the good fortune of running across some "seven grain rolled flakes" when my best friend took me to a local store in her town last weekend. I was so excited! The mixture contains two types of wheat, spelt, oats, rye, barley and triticale. It just makes things a little more interesting, but it's perfectly fine to use rolled oats instead.

As soon as I got home Sunday night, I put together my muesli. Which by the way, only took about 10 minutes. That's one of the reasons I love it! It's very quick to prepare. Plus you can make it ahead of time and store it for a super quick breakfast or snack. I keep it in a sealed plastic container with the measuring cup so that in the morning all I have to do is grab a scoop.


What's the big deal about the dates? I ate my first dates in Lara Bars and was completely enamored. They tasted like chocolate! It was unbelievable. They're a very unique fruit--much sweeter than other dried fruits and with 110 calories in only two. But that's all you need; they're also very rich. Like Mother Nature's dessert! You'll find dates in the refrigerated section of the grocery. Dates you don't plan on using for a while can be stored in the fridge, but they're okay unrefrigerated too. I recommend making a batch of Fall Muesli that you'll go through in a couple of weeks, since the dates are cut and unrefrigerated. I've heard they freeze well too, but I haven't given that a whirl yet.

Muesli is full of good nutrition and perfect for any meal plan. With loads of fiber and healthy fats, it's a satisfying breakfast that can help you manage your weight, cholesterol or diabetes. Full of flavor, nutrients and only natural ingredients--that's good food.

Enjoy!

Fall Muesli
Makes 4 servings.

Ingredients
  • 8 Medjool dates
  • 6 apricot halves, dried
  • 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
  • 1/4 cup pecan halves
  • 2 cups rolled oats (or seven grain blend)
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 teaspoons honey

Instructions
  1. Cut dates in half and remove the pit. Slice each piece into about 5 slices.
  2. Cut apricots in half lengthwise and slice each half into about 5 pieces.
  3. Gently roll dates in flour to coat. This helps prevent them from sticking to the other ingredients.
  4. Add all ingredients, except honey, to sealable container and stir gently to mix.
  5. Serve in a bowl topped with a drizzle of honey and milk.

Nutrition Facts (per heaping 1/2 cup): Calories 416 | Total fat 9g | Saturated fat 1g | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 13mg | Carb 80g | Fiber 6g | Protein 8g.

Download the recipe here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?