Monday, September 10, 2012

Mmm...Muesli

While on my recent California vacation, I was inspired by the most simple breakfast. On our last day in Anaheim, before driving down the coast, Mr. Patton was attending the last day of his conference and I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. There were several enticing menu items including one of my absolute favorites, eggs benedict. I steered clear because I was so tempted by the muesli, described as:

"granola, dried apricots, california almonds, organic milk, golden raisins, temecula honey, seasonal berries"  

Boy am I glad that I was! It was one of the most enjoyable breakfasts I've ever had! I savored every bite. Seriously. So of course, I had to recreate it at home. And this one will be created in several different versions, I assure you. It's proof that the simplest dishes can be the best (Good Food Tastes Good, remember?). 

This week I had some dried wild blueberries on hand from Trader Joe's. Hence my very first muesli creation:

Wild Blueberry Muesli


Serves 4


Ingredients

  • 1 cup rolled oats (not the quick-cooking kind; I like Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/4 cup dried blueberries
  • 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (raw pepitas)
  • 2 cups fat-free milk (serve with)
  • 4 teaspoons honey (serve with)
Instructions
  1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together oats and salt.
  2. Add each ingredient individually, stirring after each. This helps to prevent the sticky fruits from sticking to everything else.
  3. Serve with 1/2 cup milk and 1 teaspoon honey drizzled over top.
  4. Store remaining servings in an air-tight container.
Liz's Tips
  • Muesli can be made with nearly any mix of ingredients. Try different dried or fresh fruits, different nuts and flax seeds. 
  • Once you figure out your favorite version, make a big batch! That means it's ready to go when you need it or even on the run. I'm talking major convenience.
Nutrition Facts (per 1/4 recipe or nearly 1/2 cup plus milk and honey): Calories 357 | Total fat 9g | Saturated fat 1g | Cholesterol 2mg | Sodium 213mg | Carb 58g | Fiber 8g | Protein 13g.

Download a printable copy here.

Thanks for the inspiration, Mix Restaurant at the Hilton Anaheim.

3 comments:

  1. I have had the best muesli by Muesliikon in AZ, it contains organic rolled oats, chia seeds, spelt, quinoa etc!!! www.muesliikon.com , www.facebook.com/muesliikon. I have tried about four different muesli which have not compared to it, try it out.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?