Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Peach and Honey Yogurt


I love just about any fruit you could name, but peaches are my favorite! The only downside is that they have such a small window of availability (in their freshest, most delicious state) during the year. And that would be now. So Mr. Patton and I dropped by the local orchard, Eckert's, last weekend to pick up a peck. That's about half a paper shopping bag full! I'll use what I can while they're ripe, but will be freezing the rest to use throughout the year. Stay tuned for a "how to" on freezing peach slices.

I take fruit and yogurt often for lunch or for a snack; usually I just spoon some yogurt on top of the fruit and sometimes add either nuts or honey. It's fast, easy and a great way to get in a variety of healthy food groups. I was really in the mood for some blended yogurt this time, so I decided to liven-up it up a bit with the following recipe. And my favorite flavor, of course, is peach! It was delicious. It's also a simple blend of natural flavors with very little added sugar (and you can opt to skip the honey if you like--that cuts about 5 grams of sugar). The following recipe serves one, but you could certainly adjust it to feed the whole family or make leftovers. Keep any extra in a sealed container in the fridge for up to five days.

Peach and Honey Yogurt

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup plain, non-fat yogurt (I prefer Greek yogurt because of it's thicker consistency)
  • 1 small peach, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • Mint leaves, to garnish (optional)

Instructions

  • Add yogurt, 3/4 of the peach and honey to a food processor. I leave the peel on the peaches to get the maximum nutritional boost and extra fiber.


  • Blend to desired consistency; leave it "chunky" or blend until completely smooth. The best thing about making your own yogurt is that you can have it your way! I like mine chunky.


  • Place remaining 1/4 of the peach in a small bowl. Add yogurt mixture and stir.


  • Top with mint (this mint is from my garden).

Enjoy the wonderful flavors of summer! Peach yogurt makes a fabulously nutritious dessert, a satisfying snack or can balance out a lunch. Yogurt is a terrific source of calcium and vitamin D and may aid in weight management. Aim for three servings of dairy per day for optimal health. Try it with any other fruit you crave too; each color contains different vitamins and antioxidants--disease-fighting nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?