Friday, August 3, 2012

Lemony Dill Salad Dressing



When I see a client, one of the first things I ask them to do is tell me what they usually eat in a day. This is ultimately to help me build a meal plan that will fit their life. By the time they reach my office, they've usually started "dieting" and are pleased to report boring meals (sorry!) without condiments, thinking they're doing the right thing by eliminating as much fat as possible. First of all, if they (or you) have made diet changes, that's a step in the right direction! But next, it's important to learn to eat in moderation. All fats are not bad, and in fact, they may even help you reap the maximum nutrition from your foods {read here} and can help lower cholesterol too.

So sure, it's a-okay to add a little bit of the salad dressing you crave to enhance the taste of your salad. Especially if it helps you eat your vegetables! Try to stick with no more than 1 to 2 tablespoons to keep fat and calories under control. When I don't want a creamy dressing, like ranch or blue cheese, I opt for vinaigrettes, which I've learned to make myself, thanks to my Mom. Here's my version of her standard. It's become my go-to dressing this summer because I can whip it up in about a minute and it's fresh tanginess is exactly what I need atop a crisp salad on a hot summer day. Even better news: this one is supremely low in calories, made with healthy unsaturated fats and contains absolutely no additives or preservatives!

Lemony Dill Dressing

Ingredients
  • 4 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 4 teaspoons water
  • 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • A dash of Kosher salt
  • A pinch of crushed red pepper
  • Several grinds of fresh ground pepper
  • A couple shakes of garlic powder
  • A liberal amount of dill

Instructions

  • Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl (or shake in a jar).

    Nutrition Facts

    Makes 5 tablespoons. Serving Size 1 Tablespoon. Calories 40 calories, Total Fat 4g.

    Tips

    Store leftover dressing in the refrigerator for up to a week. This dressing isn't just for green salads! Try it in side dishes too:
    • Mixed with lightly steamed green beans
    • In potato salad in place of mayo
    • Mixed with pasta salad in place of mayo.

      1 comment:

      1. This looks yummy! I've been on a major salad kick lately, so this is perfect!

        ReplyDelete

      What do you think?