Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolution smesolution!

That's right. I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. I'm more of a constantly improving kinda girl. Just about as far from "if it ain't broke don't fix it" as you can get. Don't stop reading yet, I'm not a skeptic, it's just that New Years resolutions don't tend to lead to long-term success! They promote the idea that if you fail you should just give up; until next year, that is. It's a vicious cycle. I like to think more along the lines of, "If you fall, pick yourself up and try, try again." Forgive the cliches, but tomorrow's another day.

The New Year is a good time to make a decision to make improvements. But the key to long lasting success is setting goals that are manageable (realistic) and achievable. Here are a few examples of some winning resolutions:

Won't Last: I'm going to be more active this year. That is, when I join the gym.
Why this won't work? You should be able to start your resolution NOW. It shouldn't depend on someone or something else. And it's not specific--nail down how many days you plan to exercise and for how long. It's okay to start with a few days and build from there.

Winning Resolution: I will do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, 3 times per week. My options are a workout video at home, walking outside if it's nice or going to the gym.

Won't Last: I'm going to lose 10 pounds by swimsuit season.
Why this won't work? 10 pounds weight loss by early summer is a realistic goal for most people. But what's missing here is how we're going to get there. Be specific about what you're going to do in order to lose weight. If you need help with this, contact me for nutrition counseling!

Winning Resolution: I'm going to eat 3 meals a day and keep a food log to stay on track with my calorie goal.

See the difference? If you've set New Year's resolutions or are thinking of some goals of your own, take this time to re-evaluate. Are your goals specific? Are they small steps toward a bigger goal? Can you keep up with them forever or are they too hard?

If you need help setting goals or want some personalized help with meal-planning, get a hand from me. My nutrition programs will help you create a healthy lifestyle for you and your family in a realistic, affordable and achievable way. Check my website for nutrition counseling programs and my New Year's special: the Nutrition Fresh Start Program. After all, living well is easier with an RDbyyourside!

Here's to a happy, healthy New Year!

Image courtesy of: Vlado

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?