Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chocolate Banana Shake (It's Healthy!)

I've never been much on smoothies, quite frankly because I feel a meal without some food to chew on is not quite a meal. But I've been seeing many yummy-looking blended drinks popping up on Pinterest, so I thought I'd try my own recipe. No regrets. It's like a heavenly treat in a glass.


Chocolate Banana Shake
  • 1 small to medium-sized banana
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 2 tablespoons non-fat, plain (or vanilla) Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1 tablespoon Nutella
  • 1 cup ice cubes
The rest couldn't get much easier than this: put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Even better, it's a well-rounded shake with a good mixture of healthy carbs, fiber and healthy fat coming in at only 300 calories...so that means you can have some food with it!

My chocolate banana shake can be enjoyed in many ways:

Breakfast
I prepared one for breakfast this morning and drank it with a hearty slice of toast. If you're short on time in the mornings (aren't we all!), it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare. Pour your delicious shake into a thermos and take it with you on the drive to work. If you are on the run, I suggest adding a whole grain granola bar to complete your meal.

Snack
As a snack, it could cool down a summer afternoon. Hopefully while you're lying by the pool or hanging out in the backyard.

Dessert
It could stand-in for a milkshake as a healthy dessert. Yep, healthy!

Spirits
This shake can party too--add some vodka, Kahlua and/or Baileys and you've got a Banana Mudslide.

I love it when good food is flexible. And fun.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?