Thursday, March 1, 2012

March is the Nutrition New Year!

That's because March is National Nutrition Month! Today marks the start of the campaign, created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, urging Americans to focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.

The theme this year is, "Get Your Plate in Shape." The slogan refers to MyPlate, of course, the revision of the former Food Guide Pyramid that debuted in 2011.

I'm calling it the "Nutrition New Year." If you're like me, you still have a whole lot going on at the start of the real New Year. Come January 1, I don't really have a lot of extra time to start new projects...like dedicating myself to New Year's resolutions. Plus it's awfully cold outside, so I think it's tough to get a good exercise plan going. That's why I think you should start in March!

National Nutrition Month is the perfect opportunity to take some time out of your/your family's busy schedules to focus on nutrition. I think most of us would agree that we LOVE to EAT! But do you know enough about it? Often times, it’s not what you shouldn’t be eating, but what you should be eating. Healthier food choices and habits can help improve diabetes control, blood pressure, cholesterol, weight and energy level. The month of March helps us focus on the wonderful variety of foods that are available and how an RD can assist you in learning more!

During NNM, there are many tools made easily accessible to the public on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' website. It’s the perfect opportunity to take advantage of them! I love the tips sheets. Print some off and discuss them as a family, then make some goals related to health and nutrition. Also visit http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ to start learning about good nutrition and to find some helpful tips.

If you're ready to set some goals for changing your nutrition habits, see your RD. We can help you make sure that your goals are realistic and target your individualized nutrition needs.
On a personal note, I've been a little more lax than usual lately myself (yes, it happens to us all) and unable to exercise due to a nasty flare-up of tendonitis in my ankle :( So I'm using March as a new starting point too! Join me. My "Nutrition New Year's" goal is going to be to start doing cardio before work again. I just hope the pleasant weather sticks around so I can do it outside!

What's your "Nutrition New Year's" goal? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?